Some home repairs can wait a while until you have a little more money saved up. Other home repairs should be handled ASAP before they grow into big issues. Here are a few of the latter.
Home Repairs You Can’t Put Off #1: Roof Repair
Your roof is like a giant shield on the top of your house. It is the home’s first line of defense against the weather. As long as it holds firm and has nothing wrong, your home is protected from the elements. But when you have roof damage, you need to get it fixed as soon as possible.
There are a few reasons why.
- A damaged roof can leak water into the home. Water in your attic can ruin insulation and drywall.
- The moisture from the water coming in can cause harmful molds to grow in your home.
- A damaged roof can become an entryway for critters to enter your home and nest there.
So if you’ve noticed issues with your roof, don’t wait to get them fixed.
#2: Pest Issues
Do you have any kind of pests invading your home? Anything from ants or roaches to squirrels and birds fit the bill. If you do, don’t wait too long before you get rid of these things. Each has its own reason, but they’re all bad.
- Bugs can get into your food, bite you or cause damage to the home.
- Rodents such as squirrels can tear up insulation and leave feces around the home, such as your attic.
- Termites, carpenter bees or carpenter ants will damage the wooden frame of your home or back deck.
Even though nobody likes dealing with these pests, it’s something we have to do to avoid a bigger problem later.
#3: Water Leak
We use water everyday for lots of different things, but that doesn’t mean it’s always our friend. If you have a leak anywhere in your home, get it fixed as soon as possible. Even a small leak can become a big deal over time.
- Wood gets damaged and warped
- Mold grows in moist areas
- Carpet gets soggy and mildewy
- Drywall gets wet and stained, and eventually fail
If you notice a leak, go ahead and get it fixed. You’ll be glad you did.
Repair #4: Drainage Issues
Do the gutters on the outside of your home work correctly? Or do you see water flowing over the side, instead of going to the downspout like it should?
During a heavy rainstorm, does water flow away from your house like it’s supposed to? Or does it seem to be going towards the home?
Because water can cause so much damage to the home, you need these systems to work properly. If the gutters don’t work correctly or you have improper grading, get it fixed now before it becomes a bigger issue later.
Necessary Home Repairs #5: Chimney Sweeps
If you never use your chimney, this one isn’t as important. But if you’re the kind of person that loves good old-fashioned fires in the winter, make sure you get your chimney swept at least once a year. If you don’t, you risk buildup inside the chimney of creosote, bird nests and other things that become fire hazards.
There’s a lot that goes into owning a home. If there’s anything we can do to help, give us a call at 949-392-6400. We look forward to hearing from you.
Courtesy of Cuselleration