Ranch or two-story home? There are pros and cons to both types of houses. This short article will go over the pros and cons of each to help you make your decision.
Should You Buy a Ranch?
First, let’s talk about if you should buy a ranch. As a house with just one main level, this type of home has several advantages over two-story homes.
- Ranches are great for senior citizens who struggle with stairs
- Parents of young children don’t need to worry about kids falling down the stairs
- A ranch can feel bigger than it really is since everything is on just one level
- A loft or bedroom on the second level makes for a great playroom or office with privacy
- Your house probably only needs one HVAC unit
Something else to keep in mind is just because you have a ranch doesn’t mean you can’t have two levels. You may be able to find a ranch with a basement, which lets you have the benefits of a ranch plus some extra storage or recreational space.
At the end of the day, a ranch is a great type of home for many types of people. It’s generally a little easier to get around and feel like you’re close to the other people in your family. When they’re on a completely different level than you, it just feels like they’re more distant than they really are.
Should You Buy a Two-Story Home?
Even though ranches are nice, a lot of people prefer a two-story home. Why? Here are a few reasons:
- Kids sometimes like the extra privacy available by going upstairs to their room while everyone else is downstairs
- There might be a smaller footprint (including roof) compared to a ranch
- Two-story homes generally have high, open entranceways or living rooms
- Many people prefer two-story homes, so you may be able to sell it more easily than a ranch
Right now, most new homes are two-story homes. They’re often placed on small lots that are close to each other. This gives homeowners the tall homes they need and a small yard that doesn’t take a lot of maintenance. In other words, they get a nice, new house but don’t need to spend a lot of time outside maintaining the lawn. That’s a win-win.
As you debate these two types of homes, here are a few things to keep in mind:
The population of the United States is getting older. Because single-story homes are generally easier for them, there may be a shift back to more people wanting ranch-style homes than two-story homes.
That said, most new homes right now are built to have two stories. So if you want to buy a new home that’s also a ranch, that may be difficult to find.
Which is right for you? When comparing ranches vs. two-story homes, there are few factors to keep in mind, but at the end of the day, it’s all about the best type of house for you. If you have any questions or need help navigating the home buying process, give us a call at 949-392-6400. We look forward to hearing from you.