You can feel the warm sand between your toes. The cool ocean breeze caresses your face. As you look out to the horizon, you can see a heavy wave cresting, then barrelling. Unexpectedly, you catch sight of a lone surfer riding the wave to the shoreline, expertly harnessing the power of the ocean. Perfect 10.
There is a reason why Surfer.com named San Clemente one of the top 10 best surf towns; the beaches in San Clemente offer some of the most consistent waves in the country year-round. The waves attract some of the best surfing talent, and have for a long time. San Clemente has also been home to major surfing publications, surfboard manufacturers, and according to surfing legend Henry Ford, it was the epicenter of the California surf culture.
Here are a few ways to take advantage of the one-of-a-kind surf culture here in San Clemente:
- Visit the Surfing Heritage and Cultural Center, a museum founded by surfing legend Dick Metz ‘for the love of surfing’. You can glide through the history of the sport, including learning about legendary surfers and surfboards, and how boards have evolved over time. You can view current surfboard art, and even purchase surfboards and other collectibles. Surfing has indeed become a part of the fabric of American culture, and it has a history worth respecting and preserving.
- Get private surfing lessons. There are several ‘surfing schools’ to choose from, offering a way for beginners of all ages (individuals or small groups) to get out and experience the thrill of riding the waves.
- Hang out at the Lower Trestles, a hot spot where some of the best surfers in the world go to catch some of the best waves in the world. This is how great the waves are; the World Surf League (professional surfing competition) has hosted one of their global championship tour events here for the past several years.
- Visit one of the many exciting surfing competitions held year-round in San Clemente. For example, you can check out some of the Western Surfing Association Championship Tour Events, including one coming up December 2 and 3. Watch people in over 20 divisions (from under 8 to over 50 in age) compete for a championship title, and potentially a place in the professional surfing world.
- Go to San Clemente’s 42nd annual Ocean Festival on July 21 and 22, 2018. Next year’s theme is “Greatest Show on Surf”, and the festival offers free events for the whole family. Surfing competitions for all ages play a central role, but there is also a body surfing clinic that is open to the general public. Other fun events include a fishing derby, several races (running and swimming), a lifeguard competition, art and car shows, concerts, a sand sculpting competition, and a highly sought-after rubber duck race, among other things.
What are you waiting for? Get out and snag a wave, or if you are bit more risk-averse, get out and watch someone snag a wave! Who knows, maybe you will make some surfing legends of your own. And if you are planning on buying a home in San Clemente, you can take advantage of its rich surfing heritage at any time! Contact The Reed Team – we’re stoked about helping you find a home that suits you.